Saturday 5 June 2010

LiteWave Designs Lightwind Wing Kiteboard




LiteWave Designs Lightwind Wing Kiteboard.
Dave popped in from California on Thursday, bringing down with him a few new toys, the spirt, a conventional twin tip and the new Wing shaped board. Well after a little chat we hit the water, North east and pretty flat water as the wind was barely 14 knots.
For all of you that know me I am a fat boy, to many pies and to many beers and go in a little past 100kgs, so 14knots is a little light for me. I took my trusty Vegas 14m ( again all who know me will tell you that this is my kite of choice up to 25 knots.
I took the spirt to start with 144-44cm and I had a pleasant enough ride, very easy and fun, a conventional shape and just kept ground for a while. Then Dave beckoned me in for a go on the 153cm wing, ( to be honest, I have riden a flydoor and I didnt much like it, so I was not that keen) Slipping my feet in to the straps ( liked the deck pads, they have a really big drop where your toes go, so you can get great grip) I dived the kite and went straight under, this board has very little rocker line. A bit of a reshuffle and started again with more weight over the tail and I was gone, literally gone .
From just holding my ground I was 100m up wind the first run. The kite was powered and I was ripping up and down, well more up up up and up, after 5 runs I had got to wankers point and needed to turn off down wind. This shape of board really does cut and I mean cut through the 6-12' chop, in fact feels weird as it doesn't slap, just cuts, does not really ride up and down just slices through the water. A good friend terry had a go on the board and he said the same, a smooth ride, and it shouldn't of been, no slip, just silky smooth, as Terry said it was Cushty.
The board sells for £469, so seems a very fair price for a board that gives so much pleasure. ( I have taken one if any one wants a demo.

No comments: