Friday 18 June 2010

North Select 2010

Well, I got bored of the Shinn Luigi, I loved the luigi, but at 44cm wide, I decided I would come down to a more traditional width and for the strong winds, I fancied something more 41-42cm so I opted for the expensive North Select 135cm.
Now to be fair I have used the Select before but that was courtesy of North in Cape Verde and it was in perfect flat water between huge waves, and the board was a dream there, but we are back to reality now and using it in short sharp Whitstable chop, and in brown water.
The problem I had with the shinn was when it was blowing over 35 knots I had a problem with the board loosing a edge and skating away from me, and my thinking was a slightly narrower board it would hold more power.
The Select is super light, the first thing you notice bumping off small waves is the weightless feel under your feet, it is incredible, then back that up with a slightly softer flex the board is super smooth even silky smooth even through even the worst chop. I read the old bollocks on the north blurb and they talk about it being a magic carpet ride, well, I hate to agree with them but it really is. I just smooths out the ride for you, and cuts through anything.
With full carbon through the tail, it has an impressive spring or pop in the tail of the board, and it is wonderful to load up and release and still surprises me just how high the board gets with even a small amount of input. The crazy looking fins seem to give a great bite, but still loose enough when you want to slide it about, if there was a down side, maybe it is the super gloss top that can mark up easily. I am very heavily in love at the moment.

No comments: